Friday, September 28, 2012

Compassion Adventure #2 (Brazil 2012): BR-110 Espaco Esperanca, Friday September 28 2012

What an incredible day! Our day started with a scavenger hunt. I had foolishly forgotten to bring a power adapter, and evidently they’re as rare as hen’s teeth in Brazil, so my wonderful translator Isabela went well above and beyond the call of to try and find me one. Our search led us to downtown Fortaleza, and it was like a freakin’ gauntlet! Cars, bikes, motorbikes, trolleys, carts and people all fought for a tiny space of road.  On one occasion Isabela parked and left the engine running while she went from shop to shop. Eventually my nerves got the better of me and I turned the engine off. Imagine finding a running car with a foreigner in the passenger seat? JACKPOT!

We arrived at the project, parked the car, and I met the girls: Taina (7) Pamella (9), Alice (8) and Ana Alice (8) (pronounced Ana-lee-see). We took a photo in front of a sign that said “David – Your presence fill us with joy!”

Our first stop was the music class. John Nascimento is a former sponsored child of this project, and he is now studying as a student of the Leadership Development Program. He’s also back at the Project teaching music, and has recorded a CD of Brazilian guitar music with 5 other guys. The boys in the music class performed, then I was invited to play something. Funnily enough I “just happened” to have brought music for a couple of songs. I played and sang the worship song “Forever” and John, being the talented guy he is, played along. The girls then sang a song and we moved on to a short tour of the Project.

BR-110 is Brazil's most established Project. It’s been around for 25-ish years, and you can tell. The classrooms are bigger, there are more of them, and they have a nice big undercover play area. Music and dance are integral classes, and they have a garden where they grow vegetables, both for the Project and the community. The Projects also compete in sporting and music competitions in the community and BR-110 had a fair collection of trophies.

Today was a planning day for the staff, so there were very few kids around. We were joined by Ana Alice’s sister Andressa as well as a couple of boys, David and Guilhermi. While we were at the Project we did some painting and drawing (correction: they painted and drew, I watched); played some hide and seek; they showed me some dances they’d been practising. I taught them some silly fun songs I’d learned as a summer camp counselor in Indiana in 2004 – Silly Moose, Baking a Cake and Alive Awake Alert. The language barrier made it hard, but we managed.

I had also brought an Australian football with me and got that out. Most of them had a little turn, but they were probably a bit young. Andressa and the two boys were right into it, though, and we had a nice big space to play.

The staff were very grateful and thankful, and their hospitality was humbling. However, there was one blunder. They gave me a t-shirt with a picture of the four girls, and something about me being from the United States. Oops! I managed to forgive them. :) 

Home Visits
We were only able to visit two of the four girls houses today, because the parents were working. It was disappointing, but there’s not much you can do about it. So we were off on a walking tour of the streets of Brazilto Alice and Pamella’s house. Tell you what, it was a fair eye opener, and I was way out of my comfort zone. 

The neighbourhoods of all three Projects felt very similar, at least to me. I felt eyes on me wherever we went. There was sewage running down the streets, people lying in doorways, houses were covered in bars and padlocks, putting anything of value on display was a no-no. And yet having said all that, the kids just laughed, chatted and skipped all the way along.

The common status symbol on the streets seemed to be unnecessarily massive speakers which were put on the back of motor bikes or on top of cars, and pumped up way PAST 11 on the volume dial, so periodically we’d walking or talking and we’d receive a cerebral blast of Portuguese something-or-other. Having made their point, whatever it was, the car or motor bike in question would proudly move along.

We were a motley crew: me, Isabela, Ezir (Project staff member), the 4 girls, Andressa and an older boy from the Project. Every so often I would look around and just laugh to myself about the absurdity of where I had found myself. I never imagined in my wildest dreams I would be walking the streets of Brazil. Following God takes you to some strange places. But He's always there with you.

First stop was Pamella's house. Pamella 9 years old, and was clearly the leader of the four-girl pack. She is also a larger girl, and I believe this has an effect on the way she sees herself. She is an absolute sweetheart and never short of a word, but what really stood out to me was a massive need for affirmation, approval and love. Her emotional tank seemed so empty and her insecurity shone like a beacon. When she was painting something for me, she started again three or four times because it "wasn't good enough". She even made random negative comments to Isabela about her own body and personality. This made my heart ache for her.

Pamella lives with her godmother and godfather who appear to care for her very much. She does have parents and siblings, but they live somewhere else. The reason for this wasn't mentioned. The godparents have a daughter who Pamella calls her sister.

The sister is 18 and is off "working" in Portugal (it's presumed in some sort of sex-related job). She periodically sends money back to the family, and for this reason, certain parts of Pamella's house are nicer and more modern than many of the other houses in the area. However, because the money being sent is not regular, the family still falls under Compassion's economic profile. The godfather is a taxi driver, and popped in while we were visiting to say hello.

Next stop, not too far away, was Alice's house. Alice was sort of stuck in the middle of the group. Personality-wise she is sweet but quiet, and I get the feeling she is easily overshadowed. Living in a household of 9 will do that to you I guess. There were an assortment of siblings and cousins around the place, and we noticed they sport a healthy devotion to a TV show called "Rebelde". There were posters and pictures up on walls and in frames, and Alice was able to rattle of the characters like a pro.

Unfortunately the parents of Taina and Ana Alice were working, so we were unable to visit their houses. Ana Alice is very similar to Alice in personality, while Taina is the youngest of the bunch. She is tiny and cute (and knows it).

I was told there was a possibility Taina may be released from the Compassion program, but is still in it because of her home situation. Her father left the family for a while, but now he has returned. He works in construction and makes enough to help the family without Compassion's assistance. However he is quite volatile and is apparently sometimes prone to physical violence. So because Compassion is holistic in their care of the child, a child will not be released from the program simply because their family makes enough money. The Compassion staff look at all areas of their life, and if one area is at risk, they prefer to look after them.

What really made today a joy is that, at least on the surface, there didn't seem to be much between the girls in the way of jealousy or competition for my attention. I made sure I talked to and played with each of them, and they seemed to get along well.

No comments:

Post a Comment